One of the primary benefits associated with attaining a professional designation is that both employer and clients may be assured that the practitioner or professional’s competence is maintained and monitored.
Through his/her active participation in Continuing Professional Development (CPD), the individual is able to:
- Demonstrate commitment to the marketing industry, the employer, clients and stakeholders;
- Participate in and contribute towards the growth of the marketing industry;
- Grow professionally;
- Interact with like-minded professionals;
- Benchmark professional competence against both national and international standards; and
- Provide employers and clients the assurance of professional service, which is aligned to best practice.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a requirement for the maintenance of professional designations. Its underlying objectives include trust (in competence), ethical action, pride in the profession, international leading practice, protection of the public interest, operation in terms of a code of conduct.
– Policy and Criteria for Recognising a Professional Body and Registering a Professional Designation for the Purposes of the National Qualifications Framework Act, Act 67
The Marketing Association of South Africa is both authorized and required by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) to develop and maintain the knowledge and skills needed by members of its professional body to perform competently within their professional environments.
There is already progressive international and widespread recognition of the importance of CPD, for the maintenance of professional minimum standards and for the regular renewal of credible membership in recognised industry disciplines (in other words, Professional Designations).
Designated members of MASA are required to put together a CPD Record Card during each 24 month CPD cycle, to show and evidence the minimum required CPD activities. These activities must adhere to the prescribed framework and guidelines as set out by MASA, and the necessary amount of points need to be accumulated. The amount of points required are determined by which designation the individual holds. Chartered Marketers and Marketing Practitioners contribute to the over-all minimum standard of quality marketers in the industry by mentoring a mentee and passing on their expertise.
You can download the current MASA CPD Guide Here